Thursday, March 15, 2007

I am a tree-hugger

And not only that, but I also breathe air, drink water, eat food, and live on Earth. I need resources, dammit.

Pardon me if I want those things to remain intact. Pardon me if I don't want my lungs to turn black before I'm 20 because of all the methane and God knows what else in the air. Pardon me if I don't want to have to wonder what kind of tumor my spinach will give me. Pardon me if I would prefer to have drinking water be some sort of whitish clearish color as opposed to dark brown.

"Oh, but environmentalism will impede progress of corporations". Ah, yes, corporations. God bless them and their hearts of gold. And, obviously, it is absolutely impossible to make progress of any sort without killing the environment. The only way to conserve the Earth's resources at all is to become a cave-dwelling freegan nudist.

Haven't these people heard of moderation? Is it so horrible to be able to recycle things once and a while? Would alternative fuels really kill anybody? What about public transportation? Could it possibly destroy you? Could adjusting your thermostat a few degrees make you die of hypothermia? Would it possibly kill you to try and turn off appliances you're not using?

Did I say that many of the aforementioned things would save a lot of money? Did I also mention that alternative fuels would alleviate oil dependency? And, you know, we're sort of dependent on Middle East oil, which is why you have to pay three bucks a gallon for regular?

Did I mention that there's this school of thought that says that we should try to conserve what we can of Earth but it's stupid to think we can live without leaving a trace? I know, right?

But no. No no no. This is absolutely unacceptable because...well, just because. Our corporations are apparently all-important. And it never occured to anyone that these corporations would need some resources to still, um, do what they're doing. I believe that point was very well outlined in The Lorax.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I admit it. I am a tree-hugger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY TREE HUGGERS! WOO-HOO! :D